Monday, February 22, 2010

What does belligerent mean. 2010-02-22




It seems like only seconds ago that I wrote you all. The mission is passing extremely fast. I am so grateful to hear from all of you, and to know that everything is going great. Kraig, you always help me a ton to keep going. Thanks. I love you all a TON, and I miss you much.
       So this week we have been working a lot with a lady named Dora Acosta, she is about 60 and is just really awesome. She owns a restaurant and we have an appointment with her tomorrow to eat lunch with her, we are way excited. So she has already had the lessons with the missionaries a long while back, but they took the missionaries out of campo largo for about three years. Now we´re back. Elder Mccroby found her with his past companion Elder Smith and this week we put a date for her baptism, for the 20th of march, so we are way stoked for that, she studied english for a while, at times she blurts out random words in english while she is speaking to us. The owner of the restaurant was born in argentina but his parents came here from ukraine, he has been teaching me some ukrainian haha. We have 3 baptismal dates for the 20th. One of which is a man named Ricardo, who I think I have already told you about, he is doing well. It rained really hard this sunday, so we only had about 8 people in total at church, us missionaries, president of the branch, and 5 members. How sad. I also found out something that shocked me, If we don´t start having more active men in the branch, president del castillo is going to shut it down, and the members of campo largo will have to travel an hour to be able to go to church in saenz peña, the main city, costing 8 pesos each way. The people here don´t have that kind of money, they barely have enough to buy food, let alone 16 pesos every sunday. So basically, it is all up to us. If we don´t start baptizing and reactivating men, a lot of members are going to be forced in active. I feel very inadequate for the job. But, God calls us in our weakness.
      The third is a girl named Belen, about 16 and really awesome, she came to church the week anterior, but people in argentina don´t know how to sing... and with lack of a piano and the skills to play it, we are out of luck, so she didn´t have the best experience at church. However, she did go to an activity for the youth in saenz peña and really enjoyed that, they had some discourses that she really enjoyed.
    This week, we went to an appointment, but, no one was home. Except 2 dogs, so they came out to greet us, we had a nice chat, shared some homemade juice and commited them to baptism only to find out we can´t baptize dogs, the hair  clogs the drain in the baptismal font... That was our week, full of a lot of heat, a lot. It got to be about 115 degrees this week. It was awesome.
     So let us all remember the amazing words of my favorite hymn, "Lead Kindly light, amidst the encircling gloom, lead thou me on, the night is dark and I am far from home, lead thou me on. Keep thou my feet, I do not ask to see. The distant scene, one step enough for me." This has helped me a ton in these past weeks.
                   To infinity and beyond,

                                   Elder Jacobson 

No comments:

Post a Comment